Retiring and The Kids Don’t Want Your Stuff! -

Retiring and The Kids Don’t Want Your Stuff!

Retirees often move from their family home to a smaller place or relocate entirely–domestically or abroad. This leads to the problem of what to do with all that STUFF.

Give it to the Kids

Don’t take it personally when your children aren’t interested in your gift of a dining table for twelve complete with sideboard.

Individuals born between 1977 and 2000, desire completely different things than their baby boomer parents.

Different Values – Millennials are simply not interested in “stuff” and that includes everything from the silver that requires polishing to the kindergarten school photos and their college acceptance letters. You may have lovingly packed those zip-lock bags and shoe boxes, but if they can’t scan it and store it digitally, they probably won’t be interested.

Kid’s Momentos – These may mean more to you than your swim meet runner-up. Check with him or her first, and then be willing to toss those sports trophies and old report cards. You may be thinking about how these precious articles will be lost forever, but then try to envision where your son will put his junior varsity tennis trophy in his 850-square-foot downtown apartment.

Don’ Judge: Even though your children elect to live lightly and less expensively, it isn’t a reflection of you, and it isn’t necessarily a bad decision. This generation is more transient than ours, and there’s something to be said for simplicity and mobility.

Other Options: There are plenty of places where your furniture and kitchen goods will not only be welcome but also be put to good use. Most also provide a tax deduction.

  • The Goodwill Store
  • The Salvation Army
  • Homeless or Abuse Shelters
  • Struggling families
  • Habitat for Humanity ReStores
  • Local College students often need beds, desks, tables and chairs, and they love free stuff.

Just let it go!

Leave a Reply 0 comments


Get your free copy of The Ultimate Social Security Retirement Cheat Sheet

Tips for Social Security